Guest Stats

Saturday 18 April 2015

Here's to Unpredictable!



So, am late? I know, and believe you me this is not my making, yes I started the blog, no coercion at all and I was enthusiastic yeah, and still am. Am blaming this on some serious goddess somewhere called inspiration, this weekend she’s really having a field day eluding me.

Now you know, and you will be forgiven to not expect any mind blowing insight or a pseudo-fact. But here’s the catch. Yesterday I had my first article published in the leading daily and I have been frenzied, well for the better part of yesterday’s evening. 

Man, you can’t imagine how much impact such little approval can have on your ego, motivation and actually inspiration, so to speak. I might have sent quite a load of texts to literally all my contacts (they had to know, or is it deserved) and even bought a newspaper for the first time in like six month. Some friend actually suggested I laminate it. Haha! Hilarious, right? You will be surprised that I already have!




Thinking about it now I figure that all these years I have been writing, hoarding half-finished articles and near brilliant ones in my hard drive I would have just submitted them to a publisher. It wouldn’t hurt, you know just for the heck of it, maybe by now I wouldn’t be grappling with narrowing down on style, or niche for that matter. By the way I was toying with idea of posting one article from my archives, but thought otherwise, it would be too much of lazing. 

It’s all about our potentials, there’s a crazy fact I bumped into about the average human normally uses less than 10% of his brain capacity. It further goes on to purport that Aristotle (or is it Plato?) used roughly 13 percent. Preposterous as it sounds, it actually points out a gaping truth about how much we continually propel ourselves towards redundancy by failing to recognize our capabilities and even worse, sparing no resources to discover what our strengths are and capitalize on them. 

That said, it is important I make an attempt at dispelling the untested illusion of destiny or fate.  A common belief in a superstructure preset by nature that we have no absolute control over. Subscribers of this school of thought are likely to fall into an abyss of letting this happen, hoping that they will turn out for the better but expending little effort at attempting to influence the outcome of events. These are the kind of people stuck in irresolvable marriages, demeaning jobs, dysfunctional enterprises and all manner of mediocre engagements, hoping that someday a miracle will happen and alleviate all their suffering and provide quench their want and need for better.

It is this kind of thinking that makes people surprised when their peers outshine them, even when they are facing similar situations and arguably having the same resources at their disposal. Like this girl in my primary years who one time scored the highest ever grade in composition writing when results came in from the external markers. Kicker was her name, everybody couldn’t believe it, and a couple joked about it. You see Kicker, was not the great pupil that school celebrates and it had been so throughout her primary school and our friends from the other divide could call this her fate. But on this exam in class 8, she actually was an asset to the school’s reputation!

The point is, you can never really be sure about a person’s aptitudes or lack of. Worse still is trying to form a jaundiced projection of expected behaviour or achievement of somebody based on their current success levels or their superficial presentation of self. It could be a façade and even more probable is that it may be temporary. You see that Nairobi Aviation dude you are laughing at, he might just as well employ your children or even you. It is a terrible idea to ever underestimate people, especially when you borrow from the subtle fact that every other person is a rival of some sort. It is indeed in the best interest of your forage into the future that you have an expectation that people will at some point surprise you. That way you become prepared of such eventualities and better still work at burgeoning your capabilities so you stand out.  

This post wouldn’t be complete without empathizing with this bachelor friend of mine. Life is moving extremely fast than he’d imagined or even wanted. Unfortunately for him he’s now realizing that the conviction he had about being a perfect judge of character was, to put it lightly, a fantasy. He says if he had known better he’d have made clearer his intentions.

My bachelor friend is beginning to realize that the number of WhatsApp profiles with girls flaunting baby bums and engagement rings is now making him uneasy. Last Tuesday in school he bumped into this girl, Sandra, not exactly his type but somehow intrigued him. Sandra is 7 months pregnant! Not only was this bachelor unaware but he is getting alarmed now. It’s like the universe is giving him a sign “Man, even the ones that I don’t want are already taken and seriously booked!” he curses. 

Last week he had to endure a whole hour of intrinsic self-torment at a wedding planning meeting. Whose wedding was it you ask? A friend of his (possibly with benefits) who he had cut regular contact with like a year ago. When he received the invitation for yet another wedding this morning, he says the universe really is telling him to go out there and salvage what is left of his lady assets before they get swept by this unrelenting tsunami.

Girls his age are proving elusive (and mostly taken) and yet he’s even not ready to settle down with one despite a strong show that he’s putting to keep one for himself. All this time he’s never had to worry about responsibility and relationship hullaballoo but it appears it is the very thing that he needs to learn right now. Much younger girls, he can’t even conceive the idea of moving in with any. They make good company, much fun for whatever purpose that makes the weekend while away but he confides that the kind of rational, intellectual and sensual connection that he derives from them is unimpressive. 

Hell, he has a problem, our friends from that other divide would say ‘sit down bro, relax, you’re woman is coming’ or something lame like ‘it’s designed that way’ or ‘it’s already planned nigger’.  But we all agree he has the right to panic and make some grand moves if he doesn’t want some day later to compromise with an Englixx-speaking clown!

I know what you’re thinking. Trust me, when I re-read it too, I felt exactly the same way; yeah jumping from and landing on another arbitrarily is really risky stuff! 

But at least I proved one thing; am unpredictable!! (Wish I had an emoticon here to illustrate that)
And by the way that newspaper I said that I had laminated, well, I might have been kidding. It’s terribly crazy, right? Or should I?

****Englixx – The new English where x has done a hostile takeover of s from the alphabet.

1 comment: