Guest Stats

Monday 3 March 2014

Newspaper Photographs Wanting

I should not be judged as to be an everyday newspaper reader (..I rarery even buy one unless there's a serious issue I have to get details on, or a job advert I must check..), but I would say in my defence (after you read this!) that I have an appreciation for good photography.

Living in a country where only two papers achieve national readership and carry the bulk of Kenya readership, I don think anyone should be blamed for allegiance, or so we could say about friends of mine who assert that The Standard has arguably the best paper quality and illustrations.

I could say they are more frequent readers than I am so they might be justified to laugh at my vouching for The Daily Nation as having a more appealing presentation of content.

One interesting thing about the place of newspapers in todays era of new media in its ability to attract varied types of audience  is that the placement of stories and their enhancement with photographs counts alot in its reception.

TV radio and the internet have an upperhand in terms of audio, visual and scannerbility, such that some people believe that there'll come a time when newspapers will become extinct. I disagree,
even to the remote assertion for instance say today when the KCSE results were being released, tomorrow's newspapers will sell out fast, or the westgate attack and such incidents. I cant explain why the Internet or TV couldn't quench the obvious need for knowldge in such events.

This delicate place of the newspaper is not being done any justice by our photojournalists at The Standard, or is it their print process or a bad day as according to the pictures I came accross I dont think people will be rushing to that newstand for another copy in the future

For instance this picture
..which ran alongside a story about Isaac Ruto's sentiments about power in the Jubilee Coalition. though the story might be well written, clear and concise the photograph clearly misenhances the story and only serves as a distarction to the eye.

I dont know if you can tell who Isaac Ruto is from the phot because I cant. And if you can probably its because you have seen him many times on TV

I dont mean to discredit the photographer  but I think he could have done better, or do we blame the Printer?

Then what about these?
This photo of IEBC chair might very well recognize the subject of the photograph. I also acknowldge the fact that the photography intentionally blurred the background out of focus,but you should notice colourcast, especially on his forehead/face.

To me the picture gives him an entirely different complexion and if you get the real paper you will notice that it looks more of a drawing than a photo in a way!



How about this one?
Hon Mutava Musyimi here has a white beard, or something. The photo is quite grainy and just like the others unappealing to the eye.


Though from these photos, one can argue that you can deduce what the subject is, I am of the opinion that these do not really tell the 'a thousand words' that photojournalists so proudly say.

Maybe I could even add the choice of the pictures themselves,like for instance the cover page carried a photo of Lupita Nyong'o in the two dailies. from my standpoint the Daily Nation's photo stood out and even the Standard's photo on page two of her is still not flattering.

and mark you these photos were from agencies!


Take a look at this one and give me your take.


Its interesting to relate this with the number of newspaper sales The Standard sells in comparison with its main Rival. They definitely need to check on the quality of their print photos, coz most of the time it's the first impression that you only have!

I would not be wrong to say some people apart from the headlines, only scan the newspaper and read the stories enhanced with good photographs.


No comments:

Post a Comment