Guest Stats

Friday 6 March 2015

Proudly Wordy: To Write for All

I am wordy!

Yes, I admit. Positively using too many words to tell just one little, simple, probably lame, ludicrous thing; pay attention though,

I want to write, but it happens such that sometimes (well, honestly, most of the time) I have particularly nothing catchy to pen down. So I just pick my keyboard and start punching. Often I delete a whole paragraph, sometimes the whole page and start again. Other times (I have particularly found this one very effective) I just let my thoughts flow. I write no outline, I don’t restrict my imagination, I don’t really subscribe to any particular style, and if I jump arbitrarily from one thought to another I don’t freak out.

I try to make sense though, probably trigger some odd thought and in the process keep you interested or better still, make what to the simplistic mind would be a preposterous touché  but to the liberal, erudite mind, highbrow fodder.

That means I in no way intend to be brief or what the conventional observer would term, ‘clear & concise’ but rather put it down as it unfolds and hope that I will align the spontaneity of my thoughts with the extemporaneity of your zealous mind.

I can’t say that I always resist the urge to conform myself to the rules of keeping it short and simple. Contrary to popular belief, it is quite easy to restrict yourself to a single idea and creatively flesh it out and buoyantly exhaust it. But that is at the expense of the beauty of wholesomeness, the patching up of different aspects (products of imagination) of reality into some awesome cocktail that the mind fervently feasts on.

Brevity is so limiting and sour, at its best it’s a sham. Synonymous to serving a five course meal, each course a day later! Or never! It’s on the egis of conformity to space limitations and perceived readers' concentration span that time-starved writers ride on to inadvertently mutilate wonderful life experiences and exceptional propositions. The consequence therefore, is half-told stories, intellectually malnourished audience and unimpressive repositories.

On the other hand of the long-winded few, the possibilities are infinite. You take charge of what your audience will know, have to know and need to know. In the process you create a new ‘want to know’ package that able-enough readers will adopt rather than concentrating on perceived audience information wants which most writers do and christen ‘relevance’ or the unfortunate ‘gate-keeping’ concept that the traditional writer still is deluded with.

When we think, we never draw an outline for the path that our thoughts take. We can choose what to think about, but there’s an auto-generated, albeit intermittent sequence in the brain that guides the stream of thoughts. It’s a supercomputer, the human brain, capable of handling simultaneous thoughts and sends the processed ones for our utilization.  This unrehearsed and impulsive nature of our thought processes can be married into writing so as to fit naturally with the readers' expectations which now will be analogous to the writer's.

So anyway all I wanted to say is; I get verbose for a reason and it’s awesome!

Crucify me now, down here

No comments:

Post a Comment